Preview and Purchase My Current Book 'Twenty-Four Exposures'

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tifton GA Arts In Black Festival

I arrived at Fulwood Park in Tifton a bit early for the Arts In Black Festival, so I took my cue from a historic landmark sign and headed north to see the Jefferson Davis Memorial. 












Little did I know I'd be driving all the way back to Fitzgerald, where I was last weekend, but as I said--I was early.  I had to wait for an Easter Egg Hunt to get under way to document this landmark for my book and then I headed back down to Tifton and the festival which, by this time, was already under way.


The Festival was absolutely surprisingly delightful.  There was, of course, lots of food and several charming booths of crafts by African-American artisans...I found the ones by Nairobi Gifts to be the prettiest and again, was tempted to take some of them home with me.
 


Two very delightful surprises were the renowned artist Gilbert Young whose print entitled 'He Ain't Heavy' has become his trademark and one which he considers to be his statement on social responsibility.  Mr. Young was kind enough to allow me to photograph him and THEN he autographed a copy of his 'He Ain't Heavy' print and gave it to me!  I will cherish it forever!  Thank you again, Mr. Young!







Unfortunately, I was not able to stay until 4PM to see and hear Heather Hayes, daughter of Isaac Hayes, but I did stay long enough to experience my second surprise.  The Soweto Street Beat is the only professional South African dance troupe in the United States and their primary mission is to teach audiences of all ages and cultural backgrounds, especially at risk youth, about the cultural arts and history of South Africa.  They were awesome and I'm so glad I got to see them.

All in all, it was a delightful affair and I congratulate the organizers,  Plight, Inc., for putting on such a wonderful event---I'm glad I drove the distance to be there, but had to say good-bye and head back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment